At 2:25 PM -0400 4/14/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
A stretchy website stretches it's content area to accomodate the width
of the browser. I'm quite sure you knew this, either that, or you're not
reading enough.

Is my site an example of a stretchy website? It's only two columns, but it could have been three -- I just don't like three.

http://sperling.com/

At one point, the only way to layout content was using tables. CSS
didn't exist at that time, plain and simple.

Yeah, I know how the bad practice came about, but that doesn't mean that we should continue it because of legacy issues. The founder fathers of the web also painted us into 7-bit technology corner that we now have to deal with, but we deal with it.

Besides... there's this from the W3C accessibility guidelines:

----------------------------
-snip-
----------------------------

They allow for the use of tables, and I follow that convention. I
currently feel it is "necessary" at times to use tables.

Yes, I never said that the use of tables was prohibited, but that it's use has been abused by WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver, which started this thread.

Statistics are easy to find:

    http://www.frontpagewebmaster.com/m-281187/tm.htm#281187

Okay, so read them.

In the first post you'll find (from my old college CSUN) this:

http://www.imtc.gatech.edu/csun/stats.html

It states that 19.4 percent of the population is disabled -- that's about twenty times the number you cited.

However, that figure isn't current nor does it represent the world. Keep in mind that English speaking people, who usually have better health coverage, comprise only 4 percent of the world's population. I would estimate that Global disability figures are significantly higher.

Maybe Google isn't accessible enough for you (it uses tables after
all ;)

Nope, Google doesn't have it right either -- they still use graphic captcha's as well. And, they (like others) are not going to change until they understand what some of us are saying.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------