"Casey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Jan 4, 2008, at 9:54 AM, "Daniel Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2008 12:46 PM, Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Greetings, list.

I have a web application that generates PNG images that are thousands
of pixels high by thousands of pixels wide (using imagepng, etc.).

The problem is this takes way too much memory, and the rest of the
site becomes too slow.

I'm working on something to cache the images, but some suggestions in
the meantime would be great.

Maybe ImageMagick is faster? Flash?Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

   It depends on what you are trying to do with the images.  Are you
randomly-generating data to create patterns, or are you (*gasp*)
converting small images into [very pixelized] larger ones?

--
Daniel P. Brown
[Phone Numbers Go Here!]

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.

I'm laying many different other (smaller) images over each other at various positions. (I know HTML/CSS and SVG could do this with less trouble, but that would give away my secrets by just viewing the source.)

-Casey

Have you considered obscuficated javascript? It's not very hard to have JS add a few images and rotate/move them where ever you want. Plus there's not too many people that could make much sense from clear plain JS anyway. Flash is also a good bet.

- Dan