On 27 Feb 2008, at 20:59, Daniel Brown wrote:
   So let this be at least a basic retort to those who don't consider
web development "real programming."  Because you'd be surprised how
much I hear, "oh, you work with web stuff, I thought you meant you
were a real programmer."

Well, I'm not. I'm an engineer. At least according to my paycheck. ;-P

I hear that a lot and by the numbers it's fairly accurate.

In my experience there is a big difference between a web developer and a software engineer. If someone is hiring a web developer then I'm not interested. If they want a properly engineered website then I might be interested.

I've interviewed more than my fair share of "web developers" who couldn't reverse an array without using array_reverse if their life depended on it. Sometimes it really does scare me!

So my experience is that there are far more web developers out there than software engineers who do web development, and it's getting harder to find decent software engineers to do web-based work at a reasonable price. The good ones are rare - so rare in fact that I'm having trouble finding one at the moment. If anyone considers themselves a software engineer rather than a web developer and would like a job in Windsor drop me a note.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/