Did you try to restart Zend studio, I am using same setup as you are except that my zend is 5.5.0 I never had problem with [ . though sometimes editor goes crazy and (doesnt show all lines or hides some characters at end of line ) but restarting Zend solves the problem, if this issues continues with your setup you can report problem to Zend ....