From: DeadTOm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:58 PM
To: Wei, Alice J.
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] PHP Runs But Does Not Display on Linux

OK, I see now.
When you open the script from your browser are you accessing it via a
server like Http://localhost/some/file.php or are you just opening a php
file on your hard drive? I'm guessing you're accessing it on the hard
drive directly, which will not work since PHP scripts are executed
server side. So you will need to install apache2 with php.
As far as the mssql_connect error goes, the same rule applies. You need
to have the proper php module installed to define for php what the
mssql_connect function does, otherwise php doesn't know what it is and
yells at you for not defining the function.

-Allen

Thanks for clarifying the first point, and that is probably why.
As for the second point, according to
http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mssql-connect.php, isn't mssql_connect
defined already as something internal within PHP? Or, am I missing something
here?

Plus, I connect this not to the localhost, but to a different Windows machine,
so does this mean that I have to install it? One of the members on the list
suggested something from http://www.freetds.org/, if this is something I have
to install, I will definitely give it a shot.

Alice

Wei, Alice J. wrote:
Hi,

   For testing purpose, I have something like

    <?php echo "Hello!"; ?>

  I see the following from the command prompt when I execute the above script:

  On the browser, I only see:

  I just realized that the mysql_connect error is a typo, I should have typed
mssql_connect. I call this from a different machine, so I shouldn't get this
kind of error even if I don't have it installed, right? Or, am I missing
something here?

Alice