Auto-Deppe, C. Haensel schrieb:
Hi all!

And again, a slightly off topic subject for you all from yours truly :o)

I have a "customer" (helicopter company) who is willing to give me some free
flights for a small website.

Now, I have been talking to my sister in law who is a designer (note:
designer, not coder). She said I should be using Joomla or something of that
sort and change it to fit my needs.

I, on the other hand, am more into using my own code, starting with the
first "Hello World" and ending up being a full fledged CMS with just the
functions the customer needs. I have a lot of code in my code database
already, so it would be a lot of copy and paste and a bit of coding. I think
the whole thing will take about 60 work hours.

I am into hand coding, to be honest. Using Joomla or other CMS systems is
fine, but I want this to be a nice point on my CV if I ever need to get a
new job. And, most important to me, it _feels_ much better to have it done
from scratch all by yourself, doesn't it?

So, I would love to hear your opinion on this. Sorry for being a bit off
topic here as this is not 100% coding related, but I _had_ to get some
feedback to backup my position ;o)

Cheers!

Chris

Hi Chris,
in my Opinion in this case the CMS the best way to build a small website without too much unnecesary develop work. I think, if you use a CMS to build the (basic) Website, like sites, Forms and others, you will be able to offer more "Add ons" for your Client.

I think is not really important, what kind of CMS you will use, because a small site do not need high level programming, or special caching for better performance or something like this.

"Hand Coding" will eat more time to get the same result as the CMS itself, and your Client will pay more (if pay by hour ;-). With CMS you can offer other works like Data Integration, Tree Navigation, News, Feeds, Ajax and so one.

I hope this was helpfully

Regards

Carlos