Richard Lynch wrote:

> > Been trying to compile PHP.4.0.6 with --with-zlib directive and failing.
> > Using --with-zlib-dir, however succeeds.
> >
> > Does anyone knows the difference between the two ?
>
> --with-zlib-dir works and --with-zlib doesn't?
> :-) :-) :-)
>
> If you got it to work, leave it alone :-)

Sure, if it works why bother? Still, isn't it nice the way configuration
directives change along versions? It helps keeping one fit :-)

> > Also, in a related problem, if I try with --enable-xslt I get the
> > following results:
> >
> > checking for XML support... yes
> > checking external libexpat install dir... no
> > checking whether to enable xslt support... yes
> > checking whether to enable the XSLT Sablotron backend... no
> > checking libexpat dir for Sablotron XSL support... no
> > configure: error: not found. Please re-install the  distribution
>
> I'm guessing that PHP is not finding one or more of libexpat and/or
> Sablotron, whatever those are, so while you asked for XSLT, whatever that
> is, you can't have it bacause PHP can't find the stuff it needs to provide
> it.
>
> See if there's some --with-libexpat-dir or --with-sablotron-dir (or similar)
> directives you can use to tell configure where to find the stuff it needs.

Actually, I don't really need xslt functinality. I just saw it there and
thought I'd give it a try.

> Oh yeah:  Add this to the http://bugs.php.net database, since the error
> message is just a little bit bogus, eh?

The configure error was actually the source of my discomfort.
I'll follow your suggestion, thanks.

-Stathis.