Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 21:03 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
revDAVE wrote:
Hi Folks,

I¹m curious if there are any previous discussions / Articles / URL¹s that
compare the power and scalability of MySQL (with php) with other
technologies like MS sequel server oracle -  coldfusion etc....

I imagine that most middleware like php / asp / coldfusion is relatively
good & fast - (let me know if one is better ).  Mostly I¹m concerned with
the speed and power of the backend database as to how it functions on an
enterprise scale ­ such as how many hits it can handle per hour ­ how many
users before it starts to slow down etc.

honestly, if you're thinking enterprise scale then database is the least of you're worries, you'll be needing to move away from a scripting language and go for a pre compiled programming language.

Isn't Yahoo using PHP? I thought Facebook too? Doesn't seem like they
moved away from a scripting language.

Cheers,
Rob.

only for the display tier in certain parts AFAIK, facebook had a good success using APC cache; however the bulk of their "applications" are certainly not php.

ie:

TIER 1 |-A : many many db servers
            |    <------( cluster / distribution point)

       |-B : distributed caches (like terracotta)
       |-C : entity manager / persistence manager
       |-D : domain model
TIER 2 |-E : business logic
       |-F : app interface / web service interface
            |    <------( cluster / distribution point)

       |-G : web service client
TIER 3 |-H : display interface
            |     <------( cluster / distribution point)
           HTTP

CLIENT |-I : end user client (web browser)

that's vastly simplified with loads left out, a short time ago yahoo rolled out 40k new apache hadoop servers - you really think the just bolted a connector on the front ran a few php scripts then popped on some caching?

:-)