On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:36:02 -0800, revDAVE <c...@hosting4days.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I¹m curious if there are any previous discussions / Articles / URL¹s
> that
> compare the power and scalability of MySQL (with php) with other
> technologies like MS sequel server oracle -  coldfusion etc....
>
> I imagine that most middleware like php / asp / coldfusion is relatively
> good & fast - (let me know if one is better ).  Mostly I¹m concerned with
> the speed and power of the backend database as to how it functions on an
> enterprise scale ­ such as how many hits it can handle per hour ­ how
> many
> users before it starts to slow down etc.

1) Define "enterprise scale".  The word "enterprise" has no useful meaning
other than "your software isn't ready for it, therefore you suck". :-)

2) How well do you know your DB?  A well-tuned MySQL database will blow the
crap out of a default config PostgreSQL server, but a well-tuned PostgreSQL
server will wipe the floor with a badly configured mySQL database.  Your
knowledge of the underlying tool and how to get the most out of it will matter
more than which vendor you go with, unless there are very specific features you
require.

--Larry Garfield