PJ wrote:
I think this is a tough one... and way above my head:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE ABOVE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO.
Having a bit of a rough time figuring out how to formulate php-mysql to insert
data into fields using a multiple dropdown box in a form.

to post I am using the following:
snip...
$categoriesIN   = $_POST["categoriesIN"];

...snip...

<select name="$categoriesIN[]" multiple="multiple">
        <OPTION>Choose Categories...</option>
                <OPTION VALUE="<? echo $categoriesIN; ?>">1
                <OPTION VALUE="<? echo $categoriesIN; ?>">2
                <OPTION VALUE="<? echo $categoriesIN; ?>">3
                <OPTION VALUE="<? echo $categoriesIN; ?>">4
                <OPTION VALUE="<? echo $categoriesIN; ?>">5
</SELECT>
...snip...

$sql4 = "FOR ( $ii = 0 ; $ii < count($categoriesIN) ; $ii++ )
        INSERT INTO temp (example) $categoriesIN[$ii]" ;

        $result4 = mysql_query($sql4, $db);
...snip

this does not work! The other posts work like a charm... but this...

I cannot figure out what I should be entering where... I have tried several
different configurations, but nothing seems to work...

I found this as a model for entering the selections but can't figure out how to
modify it for my needs:

<select name="branch_no[]" multiple="multiple" size="5">
<option > Choose your location(s) </option>
<option value="3100">3100</option>
<option value="3105">3105</option>
<option value="3503"> 3503</option>
<option value="3504"> 3504</option>
</select>

What I would like to do is something like the following:
<select name="$categoriesIN[]" multiple="multiple">
        <OPTION>Choose Categories...</option>
                <OPTION VALUE="1">History
                <OPTION VALUE="2">Temples
                <OPTION VALUE="2">Pharaohs and Queens
                <OPTION VALUE="4">Cleopatra
                <OPTION VALUE="4">Mummies
        </SELECT>
and going further, I would like to be able to use a table that actually holds
these values to feed them to the code above. I am sure this is possible but it
must take some huge knowledge and experience to do it.

BUT ...
as I look at things, I am wondering if the FOR statement in the above should be
used to do several INSERTs, that is, one $sql(number) per selected category...
now, would that require many $sqls or many INSERTs within the $sql ?

first, I think, $categoriesIN is string, but in the form you made it as an array $categoriesIN[]. I think you have to "modify it a little bit, something like {$categoriesIN}.'[]'

second, I think the php part "FOR ( $ii = 0 ; $ii < count($categoriesIN) ; $ii++ )" can't be part of the mysql statement, it should be "outside" the statement

FOR ( $ii = 0 ; $ii < count($categoriesIN) ; $ii++ )
{
        $sql4 = "INSERT INTO temp (example) $categoriesIN[$ii]" ;

        $result4 = mysql_query($sql4, $db);
}

afan