On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 13:11 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> But if it never compiles, it can never run, but it can't run without
> compiling? Arggh, my head. So does that mean if I go back in time and
> shoot my grandfather, then nobody is in the woods to hear PHP try to
> compile?

There's a blurring of the lines these days with respect to compiled and
interpreted languages. At one time an interpreted language was truly
interpreted line-by-line as the code was running. But now, most
"interpreted" languages perform a compilation stage whereby the source
code is converted to bytecode or some internal representation of an
engine specific instruction tree. This internal representation is what
eAccelerator and APC caches use to speed up performance... specifically
they eliminate the compilation stage.

Cheers,
Rob.
--