Can't say that I agree.  Once you get through to the SMTP port you can tell
it that the following message is supposed to go to a list of people and you
only connect once, vs. connecting once for each recipient.   More efficient
all the way around, I would think.

Mind you, I haven't tried this on a large scale yet, so YMMV.

- Tim