-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Dubuc [mailto:aajdu...@webhart.net]
Sent: 02 January 2010 03:20 AM
To: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP] Need unrounded precision

Hi,

I need to extract the first digit after the decimal point from a number such
as 28.56018, which should be '5'.

I've tried a few methods to accomplish this. If I use 'ini_set' I would need
to know the number of digits before the decimal (which, unfortunately, I
would not have access to).

Then I've tried:

<?php

        $elapsed = 28.56018;

        $digit = round($elapsed, 1); // rounds result is '6'
        $digit = number_format($elapsed, 1); // still rounds result to '6'

?>

What I need is only the first digit after the decimal -- all the rest could
be 'chopped' or discarded but without rounding the first digit after the
decimal point.

Is there any way of doing this?

I'm stumped.

Tia,
Andre

--

One way that should work regardless the number of digits before/after the
decimal is:

Cheers
Arno