On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Daevid Vincent <dae...@daevid.com> wrote:

> I'm not looking to start a holy war here or re-hash the tired debate.
> I just want some hard cold numbers to look at.
>
> "Do you use a public framework or roll your own?"
> http://www.rapidpoll.net/8opnt1e

I have rolled my own in the past in the time before Zend Framework
(and others) and I was quite proud of it to be honest. It was MVC
based with PHPTal templates and I used a lot of concepts I learned
from a hardcore Java developer when building it. I tweaked and refined
it to a point where I was very very happy with its performance (I used
it for my performance benchmarking as part of my presentation on APC
at OSDC Sydney 2008) and was intending to roll it out to power a
commercial project of mine. Didn't happen as I planned, however I
still have the codebase. I wrote it when I was rather new to OOP so it
has undergone quite a bit of refactoring over time.

I may open source it now that I have no major plans for it, perhaps
someone may find the code useful in some way shape or form. Includes a
rather simple ORM that ties into APC with it's variable caching
abilities (I am aware of the limitations this provides now),
reasonably simple MVC concepts and the ability to run multiple
websites & domains from a single installation. Other basics are there
like XML reading etc etc.

In hindsight, it's a little clunky now. But I was proud of it and I
still am to a point :) Personally I believe any PHP developer who
wants to be taken seriously should have written thier own framework :)

I am actually planning another project, however it will use Zend
Framework as a base. No need to re-invent the wheel, again, as fun as
it would be :)

Cheers