On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 10:25 +1100, Ross McKay wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:55:46 -0600, Skip Evans wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for recommendations on how to replace accented
> >characters, like e and u with those two little dots above
> >them, with the regular e and u characters.
>
> $newText = iconv('UTF-8', 'ASCII//TRANSLIT', $text);
>
> But ensure you have set your locale properly.
>
> http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.iconv.php
> --
> Ross McKay, Toronto NSW Australia
> "All we are saying
>  Is give peas a chance" - SeedSavers

Don't forget that changing some characters can actually change the words
and meanings of words. While an ë might look like and e, it's actually a
completely different character, with a different pronunciation to go
with it.

Is there some particular web service you're using that doesn't support
utf8 character sets?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk