Nathan Rixham wrote:
Robert Cummings wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
Nathan Rixham wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
Robert Cummings wrote:

Many government documents have the concept of "aside" as appearing
through the document and contextually near to the information to which
the aside relates. The entire sidebar seems a bit gratuitous as an
"aside". Sure it's aside, but it's not exactly the semantic meaning of
aside.

 From the W3C Working Draft:

    "The aside element represents a section of a page that consists
     of content that is tangentially related to the content around
     the aside element, and which could be considered separate from
     that content. Such sections are often represented as sidebars
     in printed typography.

     The element can also be used for typographical effects like pull
     quotes."

     http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#the-aside-element

Cheers,
Rob.
I'm basically following this model -

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/previewofhtml5

It took very little work since I was essentially doing that already.
aside is the most logical html 5 layout tag for describing the sidebar
in a two column layout.

I suppose one could put multiple aside elements in a classic <div
{id,class}="sidebar"> but I don't really see the benefit.

Since the aside used as a sidebar is neither a child of the article or
section, it is an aside to the main content div.
no offence but I have to agree with Rob here, it seems like confusion
between "a side" and "aside" is entering.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/aside

1 : to or toward the side
The description put forth by the W3C most closely matches number 2 for
the noun "aside".

    2 : a straying from the theme

Cheers,
Rob.

yup - aside the noun

"The most common misconception of how this element should be used is for
the standard sidebar." - see: http://html5doctor.com/understanding-aside/

Unfortunatley I examined that side quite thoroughly and got smacked with a link to the W3C Editor's Draft. I stand corrected by ignorance:

    "The element can be used for typographical effects like pull
     quotes or sidebars, for advertising, for groups of nav elements,
     and for other content that is considered separate from the main
     content of the page."

    http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-aside-element

Looks like the W3C watered it down to appease the worlds morons. I mean seriously... for advertising?? I have a better tag for that:

    <crap>
        Buy my shit now... 50% off!!!
    </crap>

Seriously, then screen readers would know exactly what not to read to their listeners. Of course, it wouldn't get used... someone would use <aside> instead :B

Oh, well... so much for the much anticipated semantic web. I shall strive to use it correctly, as I'm sure the original author intended.

<aside>
    I think I need a snack... all this abuse of English is making
    me hungry :B
</aside>

Cheers,
Rob.