On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Daevid Vincent <dae...@daevid.com> wrote:

> > Subscribe to internals. Read the archives. The truth is out there.
>
> I have Googled a while on this and don't see much of anything about "PHP
> threading" of use. Just a bunch of people desperately wishing for this
> feature and trying to hack some way of doing it. Hence my asking here.

> > There are reasons. You would know this if you had done the legwork
> > before opening your mouth and letting crap fall out.
>
> I have researched this. (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47331) The only
> reason I see given for this lack of feature is "it was decided that you can
> pass an array parameter instead". This isn't a solution, it's a hack. AND
> it only works if you are creating a new function or adding to a function.
> It does nothing for existing functions that have many parameters. Why
> wouldn't you want to make an already amazing language better and more
> flexible. I honestly see zero downside or complication to this. In fact I
> am working on a site coded in PHP by Python people, and often find exactly
> what I suggest in the code because Python can do this. Ironically it works
> by dumb luck b/c PHP ignores the assignment or something and so the
> parameters just happened to line up. Even C# can do this.

> > PHP is NOT Java.

> > Nor is it OTHER types languages.
>
> Uh. Pretty much EVERY other major language has threading. C++, C#, Java,
> Ruby, Python and even the archaic Perl.
>
> I KNOW PHP is not Java. That's why I use it. That doesn't take away from
> the fact it still needs to have threading to compete as a serious language
> if you ever want to do anything more than web pages.
>
> > > You could implement the features yourself.
> >
> > Damn, Mr McGlone beat me to it :)
>
> That's such a STUPID retort I'm so sick of hearing from the FOSS community.
> "build it yourself uh huhh uhhh huhhh". Obviously I'm not a low-level C/C++
> coder -- that's WHY I use PHP. :-\ So, you just stay content with the
> status quo. I will continue to ask for features to enhance the language.
> They may fall on deaf ears, but sometimes... just sometimes... The squeaky
> wheel get's the grease.
>
> > When you set the subject line of your rant to something like
> > "Will PHP
> > ever 'grow up'", I expect your argument to at least be rationale,
> > logical, and quite possibly contain a patch. It's called
> > "open source"
> > because you too can make changes.
>
> It was logical and rational. I gave examples of why threads are needed in
> PHP and why it's STILL considered a sub-language by many enterprise level
> people, and also why it will NEVER be used for anything more than web pages
> until threading is implemented.
>
> By "grow up", I mean exactly that. PHP needs to be considered a contender
> and an equal to other enterprise level languages, not this little amateur
> language that script kiddies use. While we here may know the power and
> virtues of the language, I assure you that most of the world still views it
> [...]
Hi Deavid,

At this point, I find that when I need threading capabilities, I switch over
to developing with C# or Java most of the time, but it would be nice to stay
in PHP for these tasks (I, too, looked into the pcntl technique and that
just didn't seem like the right way to handle them.)

Yes, your last paragraph was a doozy, and few will accuse you of long-term
political aspirations in any arena ;)  However, I will go on record saying
that having threading would be a feature I'd very much appreciate, and I
believe it would strengthen the value proposition of PHP in the
ever-changing world of development.

Adam

--
Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com