This sounds interesting. Where can I find htdig?

-----Original Message-----
From: scott [gts] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 12:20 PM
To: php
Subject: RE: [PHP] building a search engine ??

and to answer one of the previous questions,

yes... it is *very* resource intensive to scan an entire
directory tree full of files every single time a user
wants to search....

as far as i know, htdig indexes the information into one
big file, and just reads thru that... which will save you
loads of disk accesses and generally speed up search
queries mucho...

not to mention that allowing any users to submit data on
a web form and then use that data in a command line tool
is asking for trouble... :)

best of luck.