This time simplexml-load-string also gave me the same error on the following
line:

<first_name>Charlie &amp; Brady</first_name>

Can anyone confirm whether simplexml-load-string will or will not accept or
allow XML-encoded characters? It seems that it should and would be pretty
surprising if it wouldn't.