On 6/11/2010 11:40 AM, Daevid Vincent wrote:

I use short tags and I output XML all the time.

I think there's a difference to note here. You're outputting XML from PHP, versus files having XML tags in the files ... I ran into a problem with short tags not too long ago when a client transferred their website to us. They had every single file starting with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

When you have short_tags enabled, this causes problems. And because we have other clients who have applications written using short_tags, I had to redo all of those XML tags and make them:

<<??>?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This is why personally I refuse to use short tags - I'd rather type the whole thing out and not run into trouble later if for some reason I have to move hosts. None of my new servers have short_tags turned on. And anyone who asks is being told the same thing: type it out.