From: tedd

> >At 2:01 PM +0100 7/2/10, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> -snip-
>
> I agree with Ash 100%.
>
> There is an "id" and a "name" attribute for input (et al) tags --
that's html.

> So, what's the major beef here? Is someone objecting to having both
> "id" and "name" being legal attributes for a tag? If so, this is
> really not the place to submit a compliant. However, it is the place
> to see the error of that thinking.
>
> Giving the slightest bit of thought to dismissing the "name"
> attribute from tags should result in the realization that the act
> would break countless forms already in use. So the "beef" here is not
> well thought out, nor is it likely to happen.
>
> Arguments against using/dismissing the "name" attribute in tags is
> simply nonsense.

This discussion began when I pointed out that the name attribute is
deprecated in XHTML. This was later confirmed when someone pointed to
the actual specification at <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/>, however
there may be some confusion about the scope of the change. The
applicable section is shown below. Apparently HTML 5 is planning to take
a different path. Of course, nobody knows that for sure since the spec
is far from complete and will likely be undergoing major changes for
several more years.

Bob McConnell

-----8<------------------------------------------------
4.10. The elements with 'id' and 'name' attributes

HTML 4 defined the name attribute for the elements a, applet, form,
frame, iframe, img, and map. HTML 4 also introduced the id attribute.
Both of these attributes are designed to be used as fragment
identifiers.

In XML, fragment identifiers are of type ID, and there can only be a
single attribute of type ID per element. Therefore, in XHTML 1.0 the id
attribute is defined to be of type ID. In order to ensure that XHTML 1.0
documents are well-structured XML documents, XHTML 1.0 documents MUST
use the id attribute when defining fragment identifiers on the elements
listed above. See the HTML Compatibility Guidelines for information on
ensuring such anchors are backward compatible when serving XHTML
documents as media type text/html.

Note that in XHTML 1.0, the name attribute of these elements is formally
deprecated, and will be removed in a subsequent version of XHTML.