Works just fine ... as does postgres --

ssh -N -2 -f -C -c blowfish -L3306:yourdatabase.server.here:3306
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

or the other usual tricks work too ... like going through a firewall (fyi ... clear
text on the *other* side of the firewall):

ssh -N -2 -f -C -c blowfish -L3306:db_behind_thefirewall:3306 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The only oddity is that you will have to use the local host *address* 127.0.0.1 to
connect from the mysql client as it normally looks for a local socket if you use
'localhost', so your connection will be:

mysql -h 127.0.0.1

for postgres examples, change the port numbers (3306) to 5432

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 06:39:51PM -0400, Egan wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:28:37 -0400, "Matthew Loff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Does mysql-front encrypt the password before it travels the net?
>
> >It does support the compressed client/server protocol, which would make
> >it harder to intercept-- but encryption is not an option yet on the
> >client.
> >
> >I don't suppose there's any way on Win32 to use an SSH tunnel, is there?
>

> I use SSH port forwarding to protect FTP passwords into my server.
> Getting FTP to work with SSH port forwarding was more tricky than POP
> or SMTP, but it can be done.  Also, the FTP server itself can be an
> obstacle to making it work, depending on how it's configured.
>
> Funny that, after figuring it out the first time, now it doesn't seem
> so tricky after all.
>
> It might work with MySQL, but I have not tried it.
>
> Egan

Hank Marquardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://web.yerpso.net

Web & Database Development in PHP, MySQL/PostgreSQL
Small Office Networking Solutions - Debian GNU/Linux & FreeBSD
PHP Instructor - HTML Writers Guild <http://www.hwg.org>
*** PHP II "The Cool Stuff" starts July 16, 2001
*** http://www.hwg.org/services/classes/p181.1.html