On 29 July 2010 07:36, Nathan Rixham <nrix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I find myself wondering about the state of the PHP community (and related
> community with a PHP focus), so, here's a bunch of questions - feel free to
> answer none to all of them, on list or off, or add more of your own - this
> isn't for anything specific, just out of interest and sure I (and everybody
> who reads the replies) will learn something + doors/options/contacts may
> come of it. The only thing I can guarantee is that I'm genuinely interested
> in every reply and will read every one of them + lookup every tech and link
> mentioned.
>
> in no particular order:
>
> What other languages and web techs do you currently use other than PHP?
> - if you include html or css please include version, if js then preferred
> libs, and whether client or server side.

JS (jquery/prototype), html4.01/xhtml, css2, mysql, postgresql

> What's your previous language/tech trail?

basic -> assembler -> html -> php -> explosion

> Are you considering any new languages or techs, and if so which?
>  - names / links

python, lisp, ruby, c#

> Is PHP your hobby/interest, primary development language, just learning or?

d) all of the above

> How many years have you been using PHP regularly?

5 or so

> How many years have you been working with web technologies?

5+

> Did you come from a non-web programming background?

Degree in Philosophy

> Is your primary role web developer or designer?

Developer but I currently do design as well

> In your developer life, are you an employer, and employee, contractor,
> freelancer, part of a team of equal standing members?

Freelancer

> Do you tend to work on jobs for geo-local clients, clients in the same
> country, or do you work internationally 'on the web'?

Mainly local though I have international clients

> How do you get your projects? do they come to you, word of mouth, do you
> hunt and bid for projects, code call, visit clients, target clients
> individually you think you can help, or?
> - not looking for trade secrets, just to get enough for an overall picture.

They currently come to me

> Do you have any frustrations with the PHP community, do you find you want to
> talk shop but can't, or find people to work with but can't, have projects in
> mind you want to do but can't find people to do them with etc?

No frustrations other than the autistic "stop posting off-topic
messages to mailing lists"

> Do you network with other PHP'ers in real life - meetups etc, do you tend to
> shy away, or do you find you circulate in other web related but non PHP
> focussed communities?

Some networking but primarily based on prior friendship

> Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts, or
> standardization bodies - again, if so which?

BeWelcome and a backend system for a roleplaying convention

> Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your boat
> right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?

No time to get involved with other stuff

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk