On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:36 AM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

Hi All,

Hey Nathan!

I find myself wondering about the state of the PHP community (and related community with a PHP focus), so, here's a bunch of questions - feel free to answer none to all of them, on list or off, or add more of your own - this isn't for anything specific, just out of interest and sure I (and everybody who reads the replies) will learn something + doors/options/contacts may come of it. The only thing I can guarantee is that I'm genuinely interested in every reply and will read every one of them + lookup every tech and link mentioned.

in no particular order:

What other languages and web techs do you currently use other than PHP? - if you include html or css please include version, if js then preferred libs, and whether client or server side.

HTML 4.01 and just getting into 5.0 CSS 2 + 3(Love some of the opacity stuff!), PHP What ever the current version is that my host has installed. MySQL

What's your previous language/tech trail?

Don't really have much of a trail... PHP was my start with just a little HTML/CSS before that

Are you considering any new languages or techs, and if so which?
- names / links

I need to learn some more... But haven't decided where or what yet... I'm thinking Java/Javascript (Which I didn't realize were different until a little bit ago :P)

Is PHP your hobby/interest, primary development language, just learning or?

It started as a hobby... Then turned into a requirement for my job as I developed my companies website, and now it's what I hope tot be able to make money at! :)

How many years have you been using PHP regularly?

5

How many years have you been working with web technologies?

13 (Started when the internet first came out :))

Did you come from a non-web programming background?

Yes I did... Presorted mailings with the US Post Office.

Is your primary role web developer or designer?

Both... Though I struggle more with design but having a loving and creative wife who helps

In your developer life, are you an employer, and employee, contractor, freelancer, part of a team of equal standing members?

I would be a freelancer/contractor... Wouldn't mind being part of a team though with the right bunch of people.

Do you tend to work on jobs for geo-local clients, clients in the same country, or do you work internationally 'on the web'?

I've only done a handful of paying jobs.. mostly from job boards on the net... But I develop for my self to expand my unterstanding

How do you get your projects? do they come to you, word of mouth, do you hunt and bid for projects, code call, visit clients, target clients individually you think you can help, or? - not looking for trade secrets, just to get enough for an overall picture.

Right now just me going out and looking for them. Experimenting with twitter to see if that helps though

Do you have any frustrations with the PHP community, do you find you want to talk shop but can't, or find people to work with but can't, have projects in mind you want to do but can't find people to do them with etc?

I don't know enough of it to help out as much as I want on the mailing list... Or yall reply to quick for me since I work a non-programming job full time! :P

Do you network with other PHP'ers in real life - meetups etc, do you tend to shy away, or do you find you circulate in other web related but non PHP focussed communities?

real life? You mean unplugged from the matrix? Offline I don't know anyone that understands what I do... So mostly no.

Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts, or standardization bodies - again, if so which?

No

Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your boat right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?

Loving the stuff coming out of An Event Apart... The test suites for CSS 3 and HTML5 are getting me very excited in what can happen... And maybe we can push this whole net thing a little further and really make it popular! :)

ps: please *do not* flame anybodies answers, that really wouldn't be fair.

Best & Regards,

Nathan