Nathan Rixham wrote:
What other languages and web techs do you currently use other than PHP?
- if you include html or css please include version, if js then
preferred libs, and whether client or server side.

I'm trying to bring customers up to modern standards, but many STILL have W2k running so are stuck with IE6 until their IT departments realise that there is something outside M$ :(

What's your previous language/tech trail?

I started programming on a little 16k memory machine ... An ICL1901 which had it's own room at Guildford Tech. And I've been through various chip sets at the machine code level. Higher level stuff was in C/C++ for a long time, but on the whole all new deployments are in PHP

Are you considering any new languages or techs, and if so which?
- names / links

Having to cope with python and other language hassle just to maintin the tools I use to support PHP is bad enough. I don't plan on chaning the distribution base any time soon.

Is PHP your hobby/interest, primary development language, just learning or?

Primary business base

How many years have you been using PHP regularly?

When did PHP5 hit production ;) I started on the release candidates rather than bothering with PHP4.

How many years have you been working with web technologies?

Probably as above, but I was looking for an alternative to BuilderC or a couple of years prior before making the move.

Did you come from a non-web programming background?

I'm still basically a hardware engineer. I came to core windows programming when I was working on a project that ran multiple TV screens from an IBM AT. I employed software guys to write the drivers and after months of no progress I kicked them out one Friday spent the whole weekend making the core drive work and gave them a working system the following Monday. Needless to say the development team was a little lighter the following month ;)

Is your primary role web developer or designer?

Developer first, but using things like PHP and developing facilities on top.

In your developer life, are you an employer, and employee, contractor,
freelancer, part of a team of equal standing members?

Self employed but working with a few other like minded developers around the
world.

Do you tend to work on jobs for geo-local clients, clients in the same
country, or do you work internationally 'on the web'?

Local customer base. We can only really make money supporting the hardware, so they need to be within easy access.

How do you get your projects? do they come to you, word of mouth, do you
hunt and bid for projects, code call, visit clients, target clients
individually you think you can help, or?
- not looking for trade secrets, just to get enough for an overall picture.

Loyal customer base who keep me in food.

Do you have any frustrations with the PHP community, do you find you
want to talk shop but can't, or find people to work with but can't, have
projects in mind you want to do but can't find people to do them with etc?

I've got a nice network of on-line contacts who usually kick me in the right direction, an we help others as much a we can.

Do you network with other PHP'ers in real life - meetups etc, do you
tend to shy away, or do you find you circulate in other web related but
non PHP focussed communities?

I have a parallel path which is also computer base, but model engineering is a sideline where I support others on the CNC and other electronics based projects for them. One of my PHP sites is dedicated to that area.

Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts,
or standardization bodies - again, if so which?

Not directly. I was treasurer for the Firebird Foundation for a while, and I'm still actively involved in that and other related OS projects.

Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your
boat right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?

The bitweaver framework has been the base for my own work for many years and is slowly filling all my own local requirements.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL