At 6:11 PM -0400 8/13/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:48, tedd <t...@sperling.com> wrote:

    SELECT * FROM table_reference INTO OUTFILE 'file_name'

 It looked to be bit simpler/shorter than my code, so I tried it. But it
 reports:

    Access denied for user 'me'@'localhost' (using password: YES).

 I suspect that the "access being denied" is because MySQL doesn't have
 permission to create the output file. The MySQL manual reports: 1) that a
 file cannot be present; 2) AND MySQL must have file privileges to create the
 file -- but I don't know how to set that up.

    No, the 'access denied' message means that either the username or
password is incorrect, or that the given user doesn't have permission
to access the given database on the given host.

Daniel :

I don't think so and here's my reasoning.

You see in the same script, I tested the connection to the database with a query *before* the OUTFILE statement and it worked! If the username and/or password had been wrong, then it would have also failed. Here's the demo:

http://php1.net/c/db-dump/db-2-dir.php

Please note that the string 'BKohl41' noted is the result of a query to the same database *before* the OUTFILE query.

As far as I can tell, the MySQL statement does not have permission to create a file and that's the problem as I see it.

I shall test Daevid's "GRANT SELECT, FILE ON mydb.table_reference TO 'me'@'localhost';" statement tomorrow -- it looks promising.

As for the:

"You know you can pass that on the command line right and avoid this pipe
business?"

No, I don't know how to do that.

Cheers,

tedd