On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:41:12PM -0700, Hansen, Mike wrote:

> I really like the idea of using a templating engine. Which one do you
> use? Why? For those that don't use templating engines, why don't you
> use them?

Here's why I don't use a templating engine.

First, You're taking an embedded language and writing a templating
engine in it. Seriously?

Second, you're painting a single page, maybe 10-15K worth of
information, and you're dragging 100K of code around just to paint a
single page. Seriously?

Third, you're creating a page on the fly, thrashing the server's CPU in
order to generate a page which could be built statically, or at least
with minimally embedded PHP. Seriously?

Fourth, you could achieve the same end result with carefully crafted PHP
embedded in your static HTML file, with actually very little more work.

I know, everyone's heard this before. But just because you *can* do
something doesn't mean you *should*.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster