On 8 November 2010 22:59, Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Hansen, Mike <mike.han...@atmel.com> wrote:
>> I really like the idea of using a templating engine. Which one do you use?
>> Why? For those that don't use templating engines, why don't you use them?
>
> smarty is everyone's favorite usually but i find it a bit annoying.
>
> not to mention php itself is already a templating language... the only
> benefit is trying to separate content and presentation.
>
> however, for that to happen people create DSLs for templating that all
> have their own little syntaxes and glitches and annoyances.

PHPTal is an alternative to smarty: http://phptal.org/ - it's got a
nice syntax, I find.

However, whether one should bother with a templating system like
smarty or phptal very much depends upon how intricate your front-end
system needs to be and what it needs to do. For smaller projects.
smarty or phptal will get in the way and will likely get very
annoying. For bigger projects they can be of great use.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>