On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Daniel Brown <danbr...@php.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:32, David Harkness <davi...@highgearmedia.com>
> wrote:
> > I do have to say that NetBeans more than Eclipse will randomly become
> > unusable for unknown reasons: disk and CPU activity spike,
> code-completion
> > lags, whatever. Eclipse seems more solid in this regard.
>
>     Whereas, on Linux, I've found the exact opposite to be true:
> NetBeans seemed to work fine, while Eclipse would lock.

I used Eclipse on Windows and only a short while on Ubuntu, and I've used
NetBeans exclusively on Ubuntu. I actually switched to using the beta and
now dev builds of NetBeans because of the issues I mentioned. To this day
when I'm editing PHP files, the disk is hit with every keystroke. This
doesn't happen for any other file type such as Java. There's no good reason
that I can think of for that, and it's quite annoying.

   That said, I only use IDE's when I want to see what's new in the
> world, or to see if I could speed up my own development processes at
> all.

There are so many helpful additions to modern IDEs that I miss when I drop
into basic editors. The key is integration. When I'm editing a file, the IDE
shows me which lines have been modified, added, and removed. I can hover
over the indicator to see the original text or revert the change. You can
get this information outside the editor, but I find it speeds up my work to
have it in one place. Of course, I often find myself using grep instead of
the IDE's "find in files" feature. ;) Old habits die hard.

I will admit that I never got to be much of an emacs or vi power user, and
I'd bet they have a lot of the IDE capabilities I have grown to love. I also
have poor vision requiring larger fonts for the main text area, and most
IDEs (GUIs really) provide more tools for me to mitigate the problem than a
fixed terminal.

David