On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 13:24 +0100, Tolas Anon wrote:
>
> > Hi..
> >
> > For a set of media import routines, i'm using a
> > javascript->php_on_apache->windows.bat->php_cli->curl->php_script
> invocation
> > method.
> > It seems longwinded, but it's designed to have different parts of the
> import
> > process run on different servers.
> >
> > I'm stuck at getting curl_exec() to return the data of the final
> php_script
> > that does the importing.
> > The script itself runs fine, and i've recorded good details that
> curl_exec()
> > is supposed to catch with file_put_contents("/some/debug.txt",
> > json_encode($returnArray)), and from those debug-printouts it's just a
> few
> > tiny steps towards a cascade of "return" statements, followed by a
> > echo(json_encode($returnArray)) and a normal end to the php_script at the
> > end of the call chain.
> >
> > However, curl_exec() seems to hang completely. I've added over a dozen
> > "debuginfo -> file on server" statements, and the one that should fire
> > straight after curl_exec() does not fire.
> >
> > It does this only with large (1.8gb) video files, a smaller (60mb) video
> > file doesn't produce this problem and the entire import routines work
> fine
> > then.
> >
> > I'd very much appreciate any tips you might have for me.
>

> Let me see if I've got this right.
>
> The windows.bat is processing the media file somehow, then calling a
> php_cli script which makes a cURL call to another web-based PHP script?
> Is this right? The final script I assume is getting sent some info from
> the cURL call and is using it somehow (in a DB maybe?) before some sort
> of message back to your curl call. What is the code then doing with it
> after that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

oops, i missed a step (php_daemon_script) in the chain of calls;

it's : javascript -> php_on_apache -> windows.bat -> php_cli ->
php_daemon_script -> curl_exec -> php_script

followed by calls-until-finished from javascript that read the status of
php_script via json files written to the server and thus display the status
to the end-user..

the windows.bat just starts up cli-php with admin privileges, which executes
the php_daemon_script, which uses repetitive curl calls to the import-script
("php_script" at the end of my chain) that does all the work for a single
item in the total upload/import queue; it does video conversion with
exec(/path/to/ffmpeg), photo conversion with imagemagick, and updates the db
with the php adodb library.
php_script at the end of it's work returns a simple and short status array
(json_encode()d) to the php_daemon_script via curl_exec, that dictates if
the php_daemon_script should continue calling the (import) php_script more
times.

it's curl_exec that hangs/freezes, both with using CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER=1,
or capturing output with ob_start() and ob_get_clean(). i've gathered that
much from my custom debug logs.