Ok, I'm such a dud. Looks like someone had already reported this exact bug
http://pecl.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=22485

I actually was looking at the problematic method in the source, but didn't
catch the problem. But now that someone has pointed it out, it's so obvious.
I deserve a slap on the back of my head!

I've gone and install version 1.0.0 for the time being, seems to be working
fine.

-daniel