On Oct 9, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Complex wrote:

> Tedd,
>
> The crucial detail you're lookign for is my lack of choice or control
> in the matter, for all sorts of reasons that are actually quite stupid
> but not possible for *me* to change, and not possible for anyone else
> to change quickly. Thus I am looking for a solution to the problem at
> hand, instead of a suggestion for what the entire org should be doing
> instead. I know what they should be doing instead, but that's not my
> decision. It's not like I'm building a new website this way; I'm
> trying to move forwards with an existing and large website. The more
> different code-bases we have for different parts of the site, the
> harder it will be to actually change to something else (PHP-based, I
> pray).

Without debating the question of choice, if I was confronted with a large web
site that used SSI, I would inform the client of such and put together a bid as
to my time to bring the site up to date. If not, then I think I would pass on
working the site. In my experience, it's not worth my additional time to try to
work around "out of date" technologies.

It is also been my experience that when I am confronted with something large
scale, and when approved by the client, I simply do a site-wide find and
replace (namely change "<!--#include" to "<?php include") and then evaluate all
occurrences prior to changing. That usually gives me a good idea of the breath
of the problem.

In addition, considering the "<!--#include" has basically the same purpose as
"<?php include", while it may be a wide-spread problem, I do not see it as a
serious problem to address. Certainly, when including files that have a
different suffix ".shtml" as compared to ".php" you will find that the Server
will treat them differently but that's pretty easy to fix -- just change the
files suffix or possibility write code in a .httacess file that would cause the
interpreter to consider shtml files the same a php.

Of course, I may not fully understand the problem.

Good luck,

tedd

t...@sperling.com
http://sperling.com