"David Robley" <robl...@aapt.net.au> wrote in message
news:49.50.34068.1b567...@pb1.pair.com...

> Consider running EXPLAIN on all your queries to see if there is something
> Mysql thinks could be done to improve performance.

Why do so many responders seem to think the problem here is in the
preparation of the query?

It is the Approach that it is the problem.  It needs to re-addressed, not
simply tinkered with.  I don't care if someone figures out how to spew out
89M+ records in 5 seconds flat.  What are you doing pulling up that many
detail records at one time for? Who is going to look at them?  You?  If so,
see my previous post on how long that is going to take you just to examine
(!) the first million alone.

This problem needs a re-working of the data processing and user interfaces
to allow for the selection of an appropriate amount of individual records in
any result set, otherwise simply preparing a summary of some sort.