On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Jim Lucas <li...@cmsws.com> wrote:

>>> Are we going to discuss coding guidelines again? The 80-character
>>> limit is outdated, 100 or 120 is more common today.
>>> And while I do agree with the spaces, do you also insist on 2, 4 or ..
>>> spaces? ;)
>>> Oh and I'd like everybody to put the opening brackets on the same line..
>>> bla bla
>>>
>>> My point is: It's not going to happen.
>>>
>>> - Matijn
>>

>> This has absolutely nothing to do with your own personal coding styles.
>> This has only to do with how you are going to present code to the list
>> members.
>
> So you expect people to convert all their code to a 'mailing list
> standard' before posting? Still not going to see that happen..
>

>> Personally, I let my code ramble on as long a line as it needs.  I use tabs
>> (set to 8 chars) in my code.  That is because the other developers that I
>> work with have editors that can display the tabs in whatever width they
>> desire.  I also do not wrap at 80 chars.
>>
>> But if you look back at any of my code examples that I have written, none of
>> them are longer then 80 characters, and uses two spaces for indentation.
>> Simply because my email client is set to plain text and wraps at 80 chars.
>
> I can see that you do that indeed, but that does *not* guarantee that
> it is also seen that way. I think most of us use a 'smart' mail
> client, that automatically makes emails more readable by undoing these
> stupid line breaks at 80 chars. Gmail for example shows your mail as
> lines with approx 175 chars on my 17" notebook.. I'm not sure how
> Gmail sends my messages, but looking at the 'Show original' option, it
> seems it breaks long lines but might be at a different length too.

See, now this is what gets me. Gmail is folding my mail at some
indeterminant length that seems *much* shorter than even 80
characters, but it willingly lets email from non-gmail sources play
across the page as they see fit. I don't see why Gmail doesn't just
make it a QP item and not force line breaks upon me.