Actually, the W3C HTML 4.01 Recommendation says:

    target = frame-target [CI]

    This attribute specifies the name of a frame where a document
    is to be opened.

    By assigning a name to a frame via the name attribute, authors
    can refer to it as the "target" of links defined by other
    elements. The target attribute may be set for elements that
    create links (A, LINK), image maps (AREA), and forms (FORM).

In the current HTML5 draft, target is explicitly a permitted
attribute of the form tag -- although I believe it was originally
marked as deprecated.

None of this really addresses the OP's problem, however, about
which I have very little clue.

Cheers!

Mike

--
Mike Ford,
Electronic Information Developer, Libraries and Learning Innovation,

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm