Well I think it depends.
When the image is part of the website, like a chart or something like that
you can use the height and width attribute inside the img tag (don't forget
alt for correct validation).
When the image is part of the layout or you're having multiple images like
in a gallery with the same height and width you should use the
corrosponding css.

It might be useful to resize the image on serverside so that the browser
doesn't have to load a big image and then resize it to a tiny pic. This
will - in most cases - speed up your website. But you have to use the tags
even with a perfectly sized picture, otherwise the browser will be confused
when the image can't be loaded

Daniel