Well, you have to treat all the user's input as a string actually. So
basically only one data type.
Now as for splitting and joining, you can make up a splitting character
let's say: |*^| and see if the user entered this in some of his input.
It's really rare to have such weird combination of characters to be inputed
by users.
Use javascript to validate before submitting.

well yes, The size of string produced by serialize is huge, why not trying
to compress it before storining it? bzcompress()

001a01c119ce$88a8b640$b5887ed8@nicker">news:001a01c119ce$88a8b640$b5887ed8@nicker...