You wrote:
> ($var1, $var2) is magic.  I hate magic.

It's not magic.  It's just simpler.

> What do you look up in the Perl
> manual when you hit syntax like that?

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perldata.html

> In PHP the equivalent syntax is:
>
> list($var1, $var2) = ...

Which is longer, and requires you to learn a keyword that you don't need
to learn in Perl.

> It does exactly the same thing, and it is legible.  Anybody can pop
over
> to http://php.net/list and get an explanation of what the code does if
> they run across it.

I use list context a lot in PHP and Perl, and I prefer Perl's way of
doing it *because* it allows you to be as verbose or terse as you like.
PHP, unfortunately, doesn't give you that freedom.

--
 -Ryan :: ICQ - 595003 :: GigaBoard - http://www.gigaboard.net/