On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:29:42 -0700 (PDT), Rasmus Lerdorf
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> In perl I can say something like:
>>
>>    ($var1, $var2) = $sqh->fetchrow_array()

>($var1, $var2) is magic.  I hate magic.  What do you look up in the Perl
>manual when you hit syntax like that?  In PHP the equivalent syntax is:
>
>list($var1, $var2) = ...
>
>It does exactly the same thing, and it is legible.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a flame war.

I only wanted to know if there was a simple way of doing it, without
using a temporary array.  The only reason I mentioned perl is because
I did not know any other way to frame the question.

Your suggestion looks like just what I need, thanks!

Egan