From: George Whiffen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] php includes === Dreamweaver library items

Hi,

Has anyone experience of using Dreamweaver library item files (.lbi)s as
php includes?

We've got a standard header and footer to go across all pages on a site with
the navigation etc.  We want both the designers, (using Dreamweaver), and
the
php programmers to have access to these includes, so that the Dreamweavers
can
view the pages automatically with the headers/footers shown, and the
programmers
can still maintain the pages and includes without Dreamweaver.

I don't fully understand how Dreamweaver library files work, so I guess my
questions are :

a) Can you use a url for a Dreamweaver libary file rather than using a local
file
so we can all share a single master copy?

b) Can we tell Dreamweaver to include the libary file's html when previewing
but
exclude it when saving, so we don't end up with the library code twice, once
embedded by
Dreamweaver on the save and once included by php at execution?  (I insist on
the live page
using the master version as I'm not prepared to trust the Dreamweavers to
rebuild the
pages when the library files change!)

I guess I've got workarounds if the answers to these prove negative.

For a) I can bully the Dreamweavers into keeping the master/local copies in
step,
and for b) I guess I can get the php to strip out the Dreamweaver copy of
the
library code at execution with a little bit of spoofing of Dreamweaver about
where
php starts and ends i.e. something like....

<?php turn_into_an_include(<<<ENDLIBRARY
?>

   dreamweaver library item tags and text

<!--
ENDLIBRARY
);
//--><?php
?>

where turn_into_an_include is a function which just finds the library file
name
in the passed string of library code and includes it from the appropriate
server
directory.

Of course, this is a bit clumsy, any better suggestions?

Many thanks,

George

?>

c) In the worst case I guess, we can live with local and master copies of
library
files and remind the Dreamweavers to always update the master when they make
changes get the php
code
to strip out the embedded library file html at execution time and replace it
with
an appropriate include statement of the server copy.  I've got an idea how
to do this by as anyone else tried this?