Robert,

Your time and trouble in going through the issues are much appreciated, and
I'm starting to warm to the idea of FastTemplate.  It seems DYNAMIC BLOCK is the answer
to the itty bitty little html file problem, but I'm still not entirely happy..

a) Nested Loops
I notice the warnings about unpredictable results with nested DYNAMIC BLOCKs.
Does that mean I can't have two levels of detail e.g. a list
of invoices and their detail lines (if any) on the same page?

b) Extra Luggage
I have a strong preference for using as few tools as possible.  This is why
I like php so much and why I don't like Perl.  With php 99% of the functionality
is built-in to the the core and you don't have to worry about picking up
extra utilities.  I can't see the case for FastTemplate is overwhelming, given
that php is ALREADY a templating language. Apart from an extra level of
indirection that allows for cleaner tags in the html, I can't see that it adds
that much. On the other hand it's clearly less powerful than "raw" php.

c) Implications of php4 output buffering control
I wonder if the new facilities for processing output buffers in php4 have
an impact on the best approach for templating.  Now that you have full control
over the php output buffer, doesn't that reduce the importance of templating
systems such as FastTemplate whichpre-process output before it gets to
php's output buffer? I have the feeling that if you were/are designing
a templating system from scratch for php4, you could get a lot more functionality
for less work now e.g. it would be easy to allow full embedding of php, by just
carrying out the template parse after the first round of php processing rather
than before.

d) Dreaweaver library files/php includes
Having tried the .lbi/php include trick i.e. use Dreamweaver library files
as server includes, it does work, but not brilliantly.  Funnily enough, my
main problem was that Dreamweaver insists on library items consisting of
complete "blocks" so my header and footer each had to split in two to
draw out the side columns from the top and bottom sections.

e) Making variable place holders more useful to designers
The other unpleasantness I found with Dreamweaver is that "php" tags don't look
so nice as variable names as the variable place holders.  However I think I
may have an even more attractive alternative than a cute variable name...
i.e.
{STATE}         is informative when viewing via Dreamweaver/browser
<?= $state;>    just turns into a "PHP" placeholder
<?php //?>Washington<?php; print $state;?> appears as "Washington" in
Dreamweaver/Browser

This becomes even more attractive for text blocks e.g.
<?php /*?>
Washington is an absolutely great state
that we should all visit at least 5 times per year.
<?php*/; print $state_description;?>

The idea is that instead of a variable name the designer gets a practical
example of how the data may actually look, that simply disappears once it's
evaluated by php.

FINALLY, I really do agree with you that it would be nice to let Dreamweaver
do all the work on library items, but I don't want to get locked into always
depending on Dreamweaver to maintain the templates and their includes.  It's
much nicer in an emergency if I can just change the one include via any text
editing tool and know the site will still work properly.

Once again, thanks for some very interesting comments and advice,

George