Stefan Siefert wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> please tell us how you configured php and apache (e.g. PHP
> with --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs) also be sure to have apache
> enabled for DSO ( --enable-module=so or --enable-modul=most)

Sorry but I post email from Win98 and I don't have my compile line
for apache and php available to paste in here but I followed the
sketchy instructions in the README docs and my compiles completed
without errors.

I did compile apache with apxs and did --enable-modul=most. When
I do "httpd -l" I see a ton of modules listed, I do have shared
modules enabled. And I do have a libphp4.so file which I have
configured apache to attempt to load. My problem is that the module
does not load. I don't see how it can now that I have looked at
the sources, there is no magic cookie. Maybe I'm wrong.

My question is simple. Have you downloaded, compiled, and integrated
the most recent versions of Apache and PHP and made them work? Not
previous versions. I've seen several people have problems with doing
this in the newsgroups dating from late 2000. Someone please wipe
out your apache/php installation and attempt to reinstall the most
recent versions according to the instructions. I'm starting to think
nobody has actually tested this...