I'm running RedHat Linux 7.0+ and trying to get PHP 4.0.6 working
with Apache 1.3.20 as a DSO. These are the most recent stable versions.
I'm compiling the sources, the compiles finish with no errors and I get
a libphp4.so file.

Has anyone been able to compile these versions of Apache and PHP4 and
be able to run PHP4 as a DSO? I don't see how it can be done. Has
anyone been able to do this successfully?

Apache won't load the PHP module, it complains that its "garbled" and
maybe isn't really a DSO module. When I look at the Apache source it
appears to be expecting a MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE field in the "module"
structure of a DSO, if it doesn't see this then the load will fail.
Searching around through the PHP4 code I don't see anyplace where it
is referencing MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE. Did the Apache module structure
change at some point and the PHP code not retain compatibility? Maybe
I should try backing up to an earlier revision. Can someone suggest
versions of Apache/PHP that do definitely work together?