> Threading instead of forking?  None of these do
> either.  Apache is a
> pre-forking multi-process server and both PHP and
> mod_perl are part of
> these pre-forked processes.  Neither mod_perl nor
> PHP do any threading nor forking.

??? I didn't get this? Aren't these pre-forked
processes handle requests using threads internally?
Say you configure apache to pre-fork 5 server
processes, what you are saying implies that you can
only handle 5 concurrent requests?????? can you please
explain this more?

> Again, the architectural difference makes this a lot
> easier to do in a
> single-process JVM scenario.  Note that such a
> single-process JVM
> architecture which maintains static objects is very
> hard to scale cleanly.

Actually, as far as I know, you can configure tomcat
or other servlet engines to start multiple servlet
engines (JVMs) and the dispatcher code makes sure that
every user goes to the same JVM for subsequent
requests. So, you can scale with this architecture...

> The lifecycle of a request/response matches the
> lifecycle of an HTTP request/response.

Actually, I was asking the low-level information, I
mean something like web server receives the request,
hands this over to mod_php, that requests a thread
from the worker threads, so on so forth...

Anyways, once again, thanks for your time...
Baho.