You may want to do something like this instead:

<?

  function my_extract($arr)
  {
    if(is_array($arr) && sizeof($arr))
    {
      while(list($key,$val) = each($arr)
      {
        $new_var = str_replace(' ','_',$key);
        global $$new_var;
        $$new_var = $val;

?>

--Joe

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 04:21:46PM -0500, David Bernier wrote:
> There is this array which I would like to convert into a series variables using the
>extract function:
>
> <?
> $oz = array(
>  "lion" => "courage",
>  "dorothy" => "kansas",
>  "scarecrow" => "brain"
>  "tin man" => "heart");
>
> extract($oz);
> ?>
>
> now, I would like to access my new variables. it is obviously easy for $lion,
>$dorothy, and $scarecrow but it isn't for "tin man".
>
> from this, I have 3 or 4 questions:
> 1) has $oz["tin man"] been passed into a variable?
> 2) if yes, how do I access the variable that came out of $oz["tin man"]?
> 3) let's pretend that I have no control over the names of the keys for $oz, how
>should I have called extract() to tell it to replace the space between "tin" and
>"man" by a underscore character?
> 4)  finally, is there a way to access and retrieve that values of the symbol table
>without knowing their names?
>
> David

Joe Stump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"How would this sentence be different if pi equaled 3?"