On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:51, Justin French wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm inserting into a table (as I've done millions of times), and I have
> a column called "id", which is an auto incrementing, unique field.
>
> Since it's auto-increment field, I have no idea what it is at the time
> of insert, but I want to be able to report it to the screen.
>
> "Thankyour for your application, for future reference, your application
> # is "<the id number of the application i just inserted>."
>

> So, what I'd like to do is INSERT, then find out the id of the row I
> just inserted.
>

> I can't just look up the most recent id, because it's *possible* that
> someone else could have inserted after me.
>
> Also, at this stage the id field is the only unique field, so I can't
> try and match against annother field (of which I know the value I
> inserted).
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Justin French

mysql_insert_id is your friend, in this case. Even if someone inserts
another record, this function will return the auto ID for the last insert
performed using a given link identifier. So you feed it the link
identifier for _your_ insert, which of course you know, and Bob's yer
uncle :-)

--
David Robley      Techno-JoaT, Web Maintainer, Mail List Admin, etc
CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES      Flinders University, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

   Vultures only fly with carrion luggage.