Thanks David,

I've skipped off to the manual and done a bit of reading, but i'm a
little confused.  The user-added notes have actually clouded the issue more!!

It *looks like* from what they're saying, that the number returned may
not be the number that I want, if someone else inserted just after me.
They go to talk about locking and all sorts of junk, but I was hoping
you could clarify the bit about an idenitifier.

How do I specify an identifier upon INSERT, and how do I re-use it when
using mysql_insert_id?

Or is all of this implied by PHP/MySQL?

Many thanks,

Justin French