* Todd Cary ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [Dec 31. 2001 11:34]:

[...]

> I am told that apache-1.3.20-16 is loaded, however there are 4 or so
> other applications dependent on it.  If I were to do a "rpm -e
> apache-1.3.20-16" with the "ignore dependencies" directive, what will
> happen?

You probably don't need to do all this.. when you configure PHP, just
use --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs/that/exists/on/your/system instead of
--with-apache=/path/to/apache/source

> Can I then get my Linux installation reconfigured so that
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start" will start Apache?  I have the
> "apache-1.3.20-16.src.rpm" and I do know how to intall it and untar the
> resulting file, but from there on I am lost when it comes to setting up
> the "configure".

If you use --with-apxs when configuring PHP, you don't have to mess
around with your current Apache install. For the exaception of making
sure httpd.conf is correct after you install PHP, you don't need to do
anything else to your existing apache install.

Just download PHP tarball, unpack it somewhere.
./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/your/apxs [rest of your options here]
make install

Then check httpd.conf to make sure it has a LoadModule line for php and
AddType lines for php. You should see them commented out in httpd.conf.
You should only need to uncomment the LoadModule line for PHP4, not
PHP3.

Then restart apache: /path/to/apachectl restart

--
Brian Clark | Avoiding the general public since 1805!
Fingerprint: 07CE FA37 8DF6 A109 8119 076B B5A2 E5FB E4D0 C7C8