Through suggestions of people here is the code I produced for a bookmark:

javascript:void(srch=prompt('Function Name?',''));if(srch)
{self.location.href='http://download.php.net/search.php?pattern=' +srch+
'&show=quickref';};

Of course that should all go on one line. That is a good hack for now,
but I still think it would be great to have the PHP site's search bar
kind of in my browser, and it would launch a new window or whatever
(with the drop-down to select function ref/online manual/etc)

Mike