In looking into this more, while I can put stuff there, PHP doesn't pick
it up (or perhaps the browser doesn't send it) unless you do something
like this:

if ( !isset($PHP_AUTH_USER)  )  {
    Header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"Foo\"");
    Header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
    exit;
}

But in this case you have to supply both a user and password...

Rats.

-philip